Have you ever felt as though the writing on your smartphone is simply too large? Or would you simply like to see more information on your display? Do you recall how, when you changed your PC’s screen resolution, the words on your screen changed automatically? On your Android smartphone, changing the DPI will produce the same result. The ratio of your device’s resolution to the display size is known as DPI, or density independence, on your device. Simply said, more content will be displayed on your screen when the DPI is higher. Here is how to alter the DPI on your Android device without further ado:
Changing DPI on Android Nougat or Above (7.0+)
With the release of Android Nougat, Google added a straightforward option to the Android settings that allows you to change the DPI of your device. To modify your DPI on Android Nougat, take the following actions:
- Open your device s Settings and head over to the Display option. You ll be presented with an option to alter the Font Size and Display Size .
- Tap on Display Size to alter the DPI of your device. Move the slider to change the display size according to your preference. You can change between Smallest to Default to Large .
- Additionally, you can alter the font size as well. Go back and tap on Font Size to alter the font size as per your preferences. Simply use the slider to alter the settings and get the changes in real-time. The settings for font size go from 80% to 100% (Default) to 130%.
Changing DPI on Android Jelly Bean or Above (4.1+)
For this lesson, I’ll be using an Android 6.0.1 Moto G3 that isn’t rooted. However, this process should function on any device running Android 4.1 or higher.
- Go to the Play Store and install the DPI Changer app from here. Once you open the app, you ll be presented with a welcome screen. Tap on the arrow in the bottom right to continue. The app will now check for root access. Tap on the Get Root button to allow the app to check for the same.
3. If your device is rooted, you will see a screen indicating that root access has been granted and that you can move on to step 7 after that. If your device is not rooted, you will get a message that informs you that the app was unable to gain root access and that you must run a command via ADB in order to continue.
Note: Before continuing, make sure your PC or Mac has ADB, Fastboot, and associated drivers installed.
4. First, enable USB Debugging in the Developer Options on your device.
5. Open a Command Prompt or Powershell Window with Administrator Privileges after connecting your device to your PC.
6. Type adb devices without the quotations in the Command Prompt window first. Your device has been linked to the PC via ADB shell if the system returns a system value along with the list of devices. If not, check to see if the proper drivers are installed. When the name of your device shows, enter the following command in the CMD window:
give com.zacharee1.dpichanger android.permission.WRITE SECURE SETTINGS with the adb shell pm command.
7. The aforementioned command ought to grant the app the necessary permissions. When finished, tap the arrow on your device to continue. You’ll see a screen telling you that the setup is complete. Click the tick icon to continue.
8. Your device’s current DPI values are displayed on the screen you see when you first launch the app. Enter the desired DPI value there and then hit Apply.
9. Your settings will be used once you click Apply. If successful, a dialogue box will appear and prompt you to choose whether to keep the current settings or reset them. You only need to touch OK to see the DPI change.
Rebooting your device is still advised for best results even though the DPI is altered in real time.
See More:10 Awesome Android Mods You Must Use
Easily Change DPI on Android
The DPI of a device may need to be changed for a variety of reasons. Although certain manufacturers frequently include this capability in their products as a result of source code modifications, stock ROMs prior to Nougat do not support changing DPI. Fortunately, the above technique for changing DPI is very effective. We sincerely hope that this instruction made it simple for you to change the DPI of your device. In the comments section below, please let me know if you have any questions.