There are times when you would prefer a new social media platform username if your current one made you unhappy any longer. Like other well-known messaging services, Snapchat provides a name change option. However, for years, all you could do was alter your Snapchat display name. In order to change your actual username on the messaging platform, you can now do so without deleting your account. So, if you’re wondering if you can change your Snapchat username, keep reading to learn how.
Change Your Snapchat Username (2022)
The ability to change your Snapchat username is currently not immediately available to all users and is being gradually rolled out. To be among the first to change the username, make sure you have the most recent version of the Snapchat app, which is available on the Play Store and the App Store. Try forcing the app to close and clearing the cache if, despite updating Snapchat, you still cannot see the Change username option. The process of changing your Snapchat display name and username prior to the one-year waiting period has also been covered in detail. So with that said, let’s get started.
Snapchat Display Name vs Username
Let’s briefly discuss the differences between your Snapchat display name and username before we go into detail about how to change them. Users see your display name—which is also your Snapchat profile name—in the conversation window. You have the option to change your display name, but other people may also change it on their end.
When you first sign up for a Snapchat account, you choose a special username. If you’re wondering whether you can modify your Snapchat username, read on. Read on to learn more because we have addressed your question in full in the area below.
Change Snapchat Username on Android & iOS (Official Method)
It has finally been made possible to change your username on Snapchat. You can only alter your Snapchat username once a year, which is worth mentioning. For this demonstration, an Android device was utilised, but the procedures are the same for iPhones as well. Here’s how to modify your Snapchat username after that is done.
To access your profile, open Snapchat and tap the Bitmoji (or profile) symbol in the top-left corner. Tap the Settings gear icon in the top-right corner of the profile page when it appears.
2. Then, click Change Username to change your current Snapchat username by tapping Username in the My Account area.
3. Snapchat now alerts you to the fact that you can only change your username once every year. After entering your new username in the Username textbox and tapping Continue to acknowledge, click Next.
4. After entering your password, click the Confirm button. Press Continue to confirm the changes when the confirmation question appears.
5. That wraps it up! You’ll receive a pop-up from Snapchat verifying your successful username change. You will have to wait a year to change your username once more, as was already explained.
Change Snapchat Display Name on Android & iOS
1. Launch Snapchat and click on your Bitmoji in the top-left corner. Tap the Settings icon in the top-right corner of the profile page.
2. Tap Name under My Account options to modify your display name. Although you may be enticed to tap on the Username area located below in the Snapchat settings, nothing happens when you do so, and you cannot alter it here.
3. At this point, all you need to do is type in a fresh Snapchat display name and click the green Save button.
4. As you can see in the illustration below, as soon as you save the new display name, it will appear on your Snapchat profile right away:
How to Change Snapchat Username Before 1 Year (Android & iOS)
As previously stated, if you just changed your Snapchat username, you will need to wait a full year before changing it again. The only practical choice in the event that you need to change the username right away is to cancel your Snapchat account and start over. To remove your Snapchat account, follow the procedures in the guide that is provided. Although creating a new account is a simple process, you cannot transfer your data to the new account; you must instead start over from scratch. Here are the steps for opening a new Snapchat account after that.
1. Delete your existing Snapchat account by following the directions in the article to which we have provided a link. Then, from the home screen, select the Sign Up option. Enter your first and last names on the following page, then click the Sign Up & Accept button.
2. You must input your name and birthday information after. To continue, enter your birthdate using the built-in date picker and then press Continue.
3. Next, create a new password and username. Because you cannot change your username before the one-year cooldown period, it is advisable to pick a name you won’t regret in the future.
4. To finish the registration procedure, provide your email address. Use your phone number and select for OTP authentication as an alternative. The end of that. You now know how to use the workaround to modify your Snapchat username.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can my Snapchat username be changed?
The ability to change usernames is a new feature that Snapchat is introducing. In this page, we’ve included all the instructions for changing your username.
How frequently may my Snapchat username be changed?
Once a year, Snapchat formally permits username changes. However, there is no waiting period while changing your display name many times. Within a year, you must establish a new account if you want to alter your username.
Why am I unable to modify my Snapchat username?
If you changed it within a year, you cannot modify your Snapchat username. Use the most recent version of the Snapchat app to use a new username for your Snapchat account if you haven’t updated it in a year.
Q: If I don’t know someone’s Snapchat username, how can I find them?
Even without knowing someone’s Snapchat username, you can find them. You can search for someone using their phone number or email address and add them to your Snapchat friends list if you are aware of those details. You can also add contacts to your Snapchat list by using the Quick Add option.
Change Your Name in Snapchat Easily
One of the most frequently requested additions for Snapchat is the ability to change the username, thus it is encouraging to see that the capability is now available. Consider the yearly cooldown factor while changing the username and schedule your username change appropriately. In case you lose access to an old account, look at our tutorial on how to recover your Snapchat account while you’re at it. Please feel free to leave any further questions in the comments area below.