Earlier in the year, WhatsApp finally made it possible to transmit temporary messages that would be removed after seven days. The self-destruct timer has recently received a fresh upgrade from the massive messaging company owned by Meta that extends its length (24 hours and 90 days). This brief and simple instruction will cover how to create a default disappearing message timer for new WhatsApp chats, which is another option that is included. Let’s now have a look at how to automatically self-destruct WhatsApp messages in new chats.
Send Disappearing Messages by Default on WhatsApp (2021)
The timer for fading messages only applies to new chats, as was already mentioned. You can use our instructions on how to send WhatsApp disappearing messages to enable the feature for existing chats. With that out of the way, let’s move on to the instructions for setting up WhatsApp chats to automatically self-destruct using the default disappearing messages timer.
Set up New WhatsApp Chats to Self-Destruct by Default
1. Launch WhatsApp and click the vertical menu symbol with three dots in the top-right corner. Select Settings from the pop-up menu that displays.
2. To review your privacy settings, touch Account on the WhatsApp settings screen and then select Privacy.
3. On the following page, you will see the option to set the Default message timer for new chats under the Disappearing messages section. There are three timer settings for fading messages: 24 hours, 7 days, and 90 days. Simply choose the proper timer based on how frequently you want WhatsApp messages to disappear from the discussion window.
4. Once the default message timer is configured, WhatsApp will show a banner in brand-new chats to notify you that this function is enabled. You may access the settings for WhatsApp’s vanishing messages by tapping this banner. You can update the message expiry duration without following these procedures if you decide to change your mind or prefer to do so.
Setup Disappearing Messages Timer for WhatsApp Groups
WhatsApp also makes the self-destruct timing setting available for new groups, even if the new default message timer is mostly relevant for one-on-one chats. For instance, if you choose to establish new groups with a default lifetime of 90 days, this choice will be available. On both new and current groups, you can configure disappearing messages as follows:
- After picking participants when you are creating a new WhatsApp group, you will see the Disappearing messages option below the field to enter the group s name. Tap it to set the duration after which you want the messages to self-destruct in the WhatsApp group.
2. To customise the Disappearing messages setting for already-existing group chats, open the group info panel. Users can still choose to forward messages to other chats or quote the content as workarounds to preserve the original message before they self-destruct, as Whatsapp previously said.
Pros and Cons of WhatsApp Disappearing Messages Feature
Now that you know how to set up WhatsApp’s new default disappearing message timing, you should keep these factors in mind before utilising this privacy-enhancing function. The function has some obvious flaws and isn’t as private as the messaging giant claims. The benefits and drawbacks of WhatsApp’s ephemeral messaging feature are listed below to help you get a better understanding of it:
- Messages automatically get deleted after a preset duration with no trace left behind.
- Option to turn on the feature by default, as explained in this guide above.
- New self-destruct timer options, ranging from as low as 24 hours to 90 days.
- If your disappearing messages were backed up to the cloud on Android os iOS, they will be deleted when you restore from the backup.
- No screenshot detection.
- User can copy or forward messages. Yeah, this is one of the biggest shortcomings of this feature as there is essentially no privacy protection as compared to other ephemeral messaging apps like Snapchat or Instagram DM.
- Attacker may manage to access expired message using your backups without end-to-end encryption. To safeguard against exactly that, you can learn how to enable end-to-end encrypted backups in WhatsApp via our linked guide.
- Message preview stays in notifications even if the timer has expired. That means you can still read the message in the notification if you haven t opened the chat yet.
Set New WhatsApp Messages to Self-Destruct by Default
Users can establish a default message timer on other messaging apps besides WhatsApp. In fact, the update was released just a few months after Signal’s secret messaging software received a similar addition. Don’t forget to read the attached guide on sending vanishing messages by default on Signal if you migrated from WhatsApp to Signal. Additionally, if you want to remain up to date with other useful WhatsApp tips and techniques, check out the post that is linked. Any questions regarding WhatsApp’s “disappearing messages” feature? Please tell us in the comments section below.