People frequently migrate from Android phones to iPhones in order to experience Apple’s high-end hardware and user-friendly software. However, the one complaint we consistently hear from consumers making the switch, particularly in countries like India, is that there is no way to transfer previous WhatsApp chats from your Android phone to an iPhone. Finally responding to our repeated requests, WhatsApp is now making it easy to transfer your chats from Android to iPhone. If you’ve been trying to solve this issue or using expensive tools to migrate your priceless chats, that is no longer an option. We’ll go over how to easily move your WhatsApp messages and media from an Android device to an iPhone in this article.
Transfer WhatsApp from Android to iPhone (2022)
Before we go over how to transfer WhatsApp messages from an Android phone to an iPhone, let’s first go over the prerequisites that must be met in order for this functionality to function. If you already know the fundamentals, move on to the procedures for transferring WhatsApp data between devices:
Requirements to Move WhatsApp Messages from Android to iOS
Before you move your WhatsApp conversations from your Android phone to an iPhone, there are a few things to keep in mind. You must carefully and properly study these instructions to avoid messing up the transfer process.
To transfer WhatsApp chats from an Android device to an iPhone, you must fulfil the following conditions:
- An Android phone running Android 5 Lollipop and above.
- iPhone running iOS 15.5 or later. We tried moving chats from Android to an iPhone running iOS 16 developer beta, but it didn t work in our testing. That means you can transfer WhatsApp chats from Android to iPhone on all iOS 15 supported phones, including iPhone 13 series, iPhone 12 series, iPhone 11 series, iPhone XS/ XS Max, iPhone SE, SE2, and SE3, and even the iPhone XR.
- A compatible WhatsApp version, i.e. iOS version 18.104.22.168 or above and Android version 22.214.171.124 or above.
- Download the Move to iOS app (Free) from the Play Store on your Android phone. Apart from WhatsApp data, the app lets you move your messages, contacts, files, and more to your iPhone.
- This is the most important step for this method to work. You need to reset your iPhone and set it up from scratch, otherwise, you won t be able to move your WhatsApp messages. The steps to reset an iPhone are explained below.
- Log in to WhatsApp on iPhone using the same phone number as Android. You cannot change the phone number while moving data.
- Since the transfer process can take a long time, especially if your WhatsApp backup is huge, you should keep both your Android phone and iPhone plugged into a power source.
- Moreover, you either need to connect both your devices to the same wireless network, or your Android phone will be connected to the iPhone s hotspot for data transfer.
What WhatsApp Data You Can or Cannot Transfer to iPhone?
WhatsApp has outlined the data you can transfer from Android to iPhone on its official help page. Here, we have the same data tabulated:
|WhatsApp Data that Gets Transferred||WhatsApp Data that s Not Transferred|
|account information||profile display name|
|profile picture||peer-to-peer payment messages|
|individual and group chats||call history|
|chat history (with media)|
How to Reset iPhone Running iOS 15 or Later
You can transfer your WhatsApp chats while first configuring your Apple device if you are switching from an Android phone to a new iPhone. The device must first be reset, as mentioned above, if you already own an iPhone and want to transfer your previous chats from Android to it.
It’s simple to reset an iPhone, but before you do, we advise that you backup your data to iCloud. Here’s how to reset your Apple device once you’re ready to do so:
1. On your iPhone, launch the Settings app and go to General -> Transfer or Reset iPhone.
2. After that, choose the option to erase all content and settings. You need to hit Continue to continue after seeing the Erase This iPhone screen.
3. After backing up your data to iCloud, choose the Erase option and input your passcode for confirmation. The end of that. Your iPhone has been successfully reset.
Steps to Transfer WhatsApp Chats from Android to iPhone
Note: To test the WhatsApp data transfer capability for this article, we utilised an iPhone SE 2 running iOS 15.5 and a OnePlus Nord running OxygenOS 12, an Android 12-based operating system. Additionally, we would like to note that the data transfer capability is being rolled out gradually and did not, in our experience, work with Android 11 (Asus ROG Phone 5s) or iOS 16 beta (iPhone X).
After covering the fundamentals, let’s look at how to move WhatsApp data from an Android phone to an iPhone without paying a cent. Oh, yes. To transfer WhatsApp conversations to your iPhone, you no longer need to purchase third-party tools. Here is how to transfer chats legally and for free from Android to iPhone:
1. Start the setup process by following the on-screen directions after you’ve reset your iPhone. Once you see the Apps & Datascreen during the setup, stop logging into your Apple account and continue after that.
2. Click the Move Data from Android option on this screen (second last from the bottom).
3. Click Continue to view a one-time code that you must input in the Move to iOS app on your Android phone on the next screen, headed Move from Android.
4. Next, access the Move to iOS app on your Android device (Free).
5. Tap the Continue button in the app, accept Apple’s terms and conditions, and grant the app all required rights (location permission is essential).
6. The Continue button will then appear once more on the Find Your Code screen. Enter the one-time code that is presented on your iPhone (in step #3) by tapping the Continue button.
7. Your Android phone and iPhone will wirelessly connect once you’ve entered the code. To finish the pairing process, you might be prompted to choose and connect to the iPhone’s local wireless network.
8. Once the two devices have been associated, the Move to iOS software on your iPhone will display a Transfer Data option. Choose the WhatsApp option from the list here. As you transfer your WhatsApp data from your Android device to your iPhone, you will notice a checkmark and the size of the backup. To move on, click the Continue button.
On your iPhone, you will notice a notification that reads Waiting for [device model number].
View a screenshot of the waiting screen by clicking this link.
9. At this point, WhatsApp will display the option to “Move chats to iOS,” putting you one step closer to transferring your communications from Android to iPhone. Here, press the Start button first, then press Next when WhatsApp has finished preparing your files for transfer.
10. After that, WhatsApp will start transferring your WhatsApp messages and media from Android to iPhone using its magic.
Keep in mind that the WhatsApp data transfer procedure can be lengthy. The programme typically estimates 4-5 minutes, but if your backup is quite huge, it might take longer. It took about 30 minutes to transfer a 1.7GB WhatsApp backup from my Android device to my iPhone.
Set up WhatsApp and Complete Data Transfer on iPhone
11. Once your WhatsApp messages have been successfully transferred to your Apple device, both your Android phone and your iPhone will display a Transfer Complete message.
Now, you can set aside the Android phone and tap theContinue Setting Up iPhonebutton on your Apple device, as seen in the image above. After that, follow the steps below to set up WhatsApp on your iPhone:
12. Once you are on the home screen, head to the App Store and install WhatsApp (Free).
13. Next, open WhatsApp Messenger on your iPhone, and you will see theMove Chats from Androidprompt right away. Tap on the Start button and give WhatsApp the necessary permissions to move messages from Android to iPhone.
14. Once you do that, you will see WhatsApp import our chats from your Android phone to iPhone. This may take around 10 to 15 minutes or more, depending on the size of your backup. You will see aTransfer Completeprompt after that and can set up your profile.
Enable iCloud Backup for WhatsApp on iPhone
15. And voila, you are done! You have successfully transferred your messages and media from Android to iOS.
While you are done, there s a final step you should follow for safekeeping. Now, it s important to mention that your data was moved to your iPhone using a local backup, so you need to enable iCloud backup for WhatsApp manually.
Don t See WhatsApp in Move to iOS App? Here s Why!
To do that, navigate toSettings -> Chats -> Chat Backupand select theBack Up Nowoption to keep your chat history and media in iCloud. Now, whenever you switch to another iPhone, you can easily restore all your previous messages using the iCloud backup. For any moreWhatsApp tips and tricks, check out the linked article.
WhatsApp Chats Move to iOS Not Working? How to Fix!
Now, I have noticed that a lot of users are facing this issue where they don t see the WhatsApp option in the Move to iOS app. And that s because WhatsApp has not rolled out this chat transfer functionality for all users. The feature is only available to select users and just a few people see the WhatsApp option in the Move to iOS app. The company plans to bring the ability to move your messages from Android to iPhone to all users very soon, so stay tuned.
If you face any issues while trying to transfer your chats from your Android phone to your iPhone, try out the following solutions:
1. First, make sure that both your Android phone and iPhone meet the basic requirements listed at the start of this article. Also, ensure you re running a compatible version of WhatsApp on your devices.
2. Next, remember to reset your iPhone before moving your old WhatsApp chats from Android to iPhone. You can t move WhatsApp data to an already activated iPhone, asit s not possible to merge the new and old history,states WhatsApp on its support page. So follow the steps above to reset your iPhone before you proceed further. If you re setting up a brand new iPhone, you don t need to worry about this.
3. Remember that both the Android phone and iPhone need to be connected to the same Wi-Fi network for the chat transfer to work.
4. If these two things are in place, we urge you to log into WhatsApp on your iPhone using the same phone number that you were using on your Android phone. You cannot change phone numbers during the transfer process.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
4. Finally, there s a possibility that the Move to iOS app is not working properly or crashing on your Android phone. If that s the case, on its official support page, WhatsApp suggests contacting Apple support to help you resolve the issue.
How do I transfer WhatsApp chat history from Android to iPhone?
As of June 14, WhatsApp has officially added support for chat transfers from Android to iPhone. You simply need a compatible Android phone with the Move to iOS app and iPhone (new or reset) to move messages from your Android phone to WhatsApp. We have added detailed instructions to transfer chats from Android to iPhone in our guide, so give it a read for more information.
How do I restore WhatsApp chats from Google Drive backup on an iPhone?
You cannot restore WhatsApp chats using Google Drive backup from your Android phone on your iPhone. Instead, you can now use the Move to iOS app to transfer your chat history from an Android phone to an iPhone with ease.
Is it possible to transfer WhatsApp backup from Google Drive to iCloud?
Yes, it is now possible tobackup your WhatsApp datafrom Google Drive to iCloud. The process is tedious and involves transferring your chats from Android to iPhone using the official process supported by WhatsApp. It requires a factory reset iPhone and an Android phone with the Move to iOS app. Once you have successfully moved the chats from Android to iPhone, you can turn on iCloud backups on your iPhone. We have explained how that works in our guide.
Can WhatsApp read the chats I transfer from Android to iPhone?
No, WhatsApp will not be able to see the data you transfer from Android to iPhone. Also, your messages will not go to any cloud storage server unless you enable iCloud backups after moving your data.
Will my WhatsApp messages be deleted from Android after moving to iPhone?
Move WhatsApp Messages from Android to iPhone
The answer is no.