Live long, digital heritage! Have you ever worried about what will happen to the hundreds (or thousands) of priceless images, private documents, and notes on your Apple device when you pass away? Apple Digital Legacy in iOS 15 is available if you’ve had that notion and are looking for a safe solution to preserve your legacy even after your passing. Learn more about Apple Digital Legacy and how to add a legacy contact to your iPhone in the sections below.
Apple Digital Legacy Program: Explained! (2021)
Before we go through the process to activate the feature, let’s first clarify what Apple Digital Legacy is and how it functions.
What is Apple Digital Legacy and How Does It Work?
Your precious memories, including pictures and movies, as well as crucial files, will be preserved long after your passing thanks to Apple Digital Legacy. You can safely transfer your information to close friends or family members using the software. For your family or friends to be able to seek access to your information after your demise, Apple now lets you add Legacy contacts to your iCloud account.
Later this year, all users will be able to access Apple Digital Legacy on iOS 15, iPadOS 15, and macOS Monterey. You can manage your legacy contacts, keep track of your Access key, and even remove access to the key by deleting someone from your trusted contacts list, depending on your requirements.
What Data Can Legacy Contacts Access on Your iPhone?
Your friend or relative will have access to the information kept in your account after your death once you add them as your legacy contact. Your digital legacy data will consist of the following:
- Calendar events
- Apps you have purchases
- Your device backup
Keep in mind that neither your iCloud Keychain nor any licenced media will be accessible to your trusted contact.
How Will Legacy Contacts Access Your Data After You Are Gone?
Apple generates an Access Key when you add a legacy contact to your account, which you must give with them. Your trusted contact will need to give them a copy of your death certificate and the Access Key in order to access your data after you pass away.
How to Add a Legacy Contact in iOS 15 on iPhone
In iOS 15, it’s easy to add a legacy contact to an iCloud account. Follow the steps below to complete it directly from the Apple ID section:
- Launch the Settings app on your iPhone or iPad and tap on your profile.
2. Tap Password & Security right now.
3. After selecting Legacy contact, scroll down and touch the Add Legacy Contact button.
4. To continue, click Add Legacy Contact on the Legacy Contacts screen. Next, sign in to your iCloud account using your Apple ID credentials.
5. Choose your desired contact now, then touch Continue.
6. Select your sharing strategy for your Access Key with a dependable Legacy Contact. The access key can be printed if you want to. If you wish to share a hard copy of your Access key, tap on thePrinta Copyoption and then print the Access key.
Additionally, you have the option of sending the Access Key by email, Airdrop, WhatsApp, or another messaging service. The Access Key can also be saved on your iPhone in the Files folder, as seen below.
How to Manage Legacy Contacts on iPhone and iPad
On the iPad and iPhone, managing historical contacts is just as simple. The trusted connections may therefore be examined, and the access key can be monitored. And sure, you can do that without any hassle if you ever decide to take someone off your list of trusted contacts.
View Your Legacy Contacts in iOS 15 and iPadOS 15
- Head over to the Settings app on your iPhone or iPad, and tap on your profile.
2. Next, click Security & Password.
3. Next, select Legacy contact by scrolling down.
4. Your previous contacts are listed here. You must now be asking how many historical contacts iOS 15 allows you to add to your iCloud account. The amount of legacy contacts does not appear to be capped. During our testing, we were able to add up to 10 contacts, and we still had room for more.
View Access Key of Your Apple Digital Legacy Contacts
- Navigate to Settings -> your profile -> Password & Security -> Legacy Contact.
2. Select contact for alegacy now.
3. Tap on View Access Key after that.
Remove a Legacy Contact on iPhone and iPad
You can do so with the utmost ease if you ever want to restrict a contact from having access to your Access Key. To remove a legacy contact from your Apple account, simply follow the steps below.
- Head over to Settings -> profile -> Password & Security -> Legacy contact.
2. Select the person you don’t want to have access to your personal information after your passing now.
3. Click the red “Remove” button to finish. You will now see a pop-up at the bottom asking if you really want to delete X as your legacy contact. After you pass away, X’s access key will be deleted, making it impossible for them to access your account data. Tap Remove once more to make sure.
Request Access to a Deceased Family Member s Account Data
Although the process for requesting a deceased family member’s account data by a legacy contact is unclear, I assume the option would be included in the Apple ID settings for iPhone and iPad. So, if you are a friend or family member’s trusted contact, you can ask for their account information there. The iCloud online app will also provide a method for requesting the account info, as seen in the screenshot below.
Please be aware that in order to get a copy of the data, you will also need the deceased’s death certificate in addition to the Access Key. Since iOS 15 is still under development and won’t be released to all iPhone users until this autumn, we’ll update this section with detailed instructions as soon as the procedure for requesting legacy data is made accessible. So, keep checking back for more information!
Apple Digital Legacy Program to Never Let Your Legacy Die
That is how the Apple Digital Legacy programme functions, then. It’s wonderful to have the choice to leave the data to a trustworthy individual after your death in an age where our devices store a wealth of information along with priceless images and videos. Your Apple device deserves a reliable barrier to protect all the wonderful memories and private information you have stored on it over the years. How would you feel about Apple Digital Legacy? Please leave your remarks in the space provided below.